Hill Road House

Built in 1929, this traditional limestone residence has been dramatically renovated and remodeled over a 16-year period to include the addition of staff quarters, garage wing and enlarged entry. 

A new stone wall and colonnaded garden pavilion anchor the front entrance gates while a trellised arbor defines the side service entry.  The landscaped grounds now also include a balustraded limestone terrace with a reflecting pool and fountain adjacent to the west wing. 

Suffering from Depression set backs, the existing interior of the residence was architecturally quite ordinary and lacking in any substantive detailing or interesting materials.  It was completely gutted and redesigned.  New historically accurate lead muntinized windows and French doors were correctly proportioned.  Interior doors with transoms and specially designed hardware accentuate the 9’-6” ceiling height as do the vertically shallow but horizontally extensive crown moldings that carry the eye upward and outward. 

Many rooms were reconfigured or reapportioned to create more attractive as well as more functional spaces.  The central stair was redesigned and the upper foyer created from a former bedroom.  The old two-car garage became a family room.  A completely new kitchen was created combining the existing one with the butler’s panty.  The sunroom was refenestrated and a coffered ceiling installed to create the trellised effect of a garden room. 

Woodwork, originally minimized or totally omitted, was newly detailed.  Utilizing a mixture of antique and custom designed furniture; the meticulous selection of the interior furnishings and fixtures invokes the period in which the house originated as well as its historic antecedents.