The building is a second-generation addition to a building designed in 1933 in Chicago-World’s-Fair Moderne with an addition in 1953 done in International-Style Modern. The original buildings rent to symbolize the more unpleasant aspects of the institution as a euthanasia center. The current administration’s intention is to reeducate the public to become aware of its adoptive, as opposed to its euthanizing, role. The image of the new building therefore suggests noninstitutionality. Residential imagery is communicated by what are thought of as apartments over a store: the second floor of the addition is fenestrated by double-hung windows over storefront windows (the old “doggie in the window” trick). The building is clad in horizontal aluminum siding, prefinished cedar gray with white trim.